AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Diet and mental health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 12/29/2023 06:17 (#10546882 - in reply to #10543526)
Subject: RE: Diet and mental health

Pittsburg, Kansas
Five years ago I don't think I could have ran 50 feet unless a bear was chasing me. Knees shot. Dr telling me I would be ready for knee replacement in a couple years. Some back hurting.

We went low carb/keto and within a month knees and back no longer hurt. Then over the next year lost the weight.

This last year been listening to some gurus talking about the importance of us old geezers maintaining muscle mass. Say if we lose the muscle much more likely to fall and break bones. Muscle mass is associated with life length. The ones I was listening to said doing heavy stuff is more important than aerobic for muscle strength. In other words heavier muscle work to exhaustion rather than longer time more reps of lighter stuff. A couple different places talking about the benefit of sprinting all out to VO2 max or at least 80% of it. Whatever it takes to take muscle to exhaustion. It is the exhaustion that causes slight muscle damage that causes the body to go into repair mode and actually strengthen and increase in size the muscle. Of course rest time in between the exhaustion periods are important too.

So that is when I attempted to run a little. Started out maybe 50 or 100 feet at a modest pace. Eventually worked it up to where I am at now, which is about where I want to stay.

I've been working on it 3-5 days a week for probably 8 months now to get to where I am at. 15-30 minutes a day total. If I am around the pull up bar and think about it I might do a few extra at night. Other than that just once a day, most days, but not every day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)