AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drugs for heart health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/9/2024 06:04 (#10658119 - in reply to #10658023)
Subject: RE: Drugs for heart health

Pittsburg, Kansas
I think you are making too much. It varies wide throughout the day when you eat and insulin levels change as needed. But the reading after fasting 12 hours should be relatively consistent. Within a couple of points I would think. An exception might be if you had a horrible nights sleep, or if you get in a near car accident on the way to the doctor. Adrenaline or cortisone are stress hormones that will cause the liver to produce glucose. The extra glucose will cause a small insulin spike. But assuming you don't eat or drink anything nutritive after supper, skip breakfast and get your blood drawn around 9am and you don't have anything weird go on should be a good test.

I only have mine done annually, so not that many times.

A person in good metabolic health should be in single digits. People healthy and long term ketogenic or carnivore diets will often be 2 or 3. The lab will show a normal range of something like 6-25. But if a person is 20 or even 50, they definitely are on their way to metabolic problems. A high number indicates insulin resistance and the pancreas is having to pump out inordinate amounts of insulin to keep blood sugar in check. It is a warning sign to do something about it.

What to do about it, in my opinion, is two fold. 1. Stop eating the foods that cause insulin to spike. 2. Eat only 2 or 3 individual meals a day with no snacking in between, giving insulin a chance to drop.

Insulin resistance is kind of like roundup resistance. Use the same chemical too long exclusively and the resistant weeds will get by and multiply. Insulin resistance is different in that high levels constantly without any drop or rest time in between and some cells become resistant and now require higher levels of insulin to get the job done. (Not all cells types become resistant, only certain ones).

That is why if the fasting insulin tests high it is indicating a high level of insulin to keep up with the cells insulin resistance to keep the blood sugar in control.

Probably more than you wanted to know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)