AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blizzard
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 3/26/2024 14:52 (#10681396 - in reply to #10681232)
Subject: RE: Blizzard

East of Broken Bow
I never had much luck grafting a weeks old calf that never knew a cow as its mother. In both cases, the cow had twins, and walked off with the first one that stood up, leaving the other on the ground. If they had ever nursed I might be willing to try, but as of right now I'm spending my outdoor time wading through waist deep snowdrifts, fighting 35 MPH wind gusts trying to keep everything else alive and healthy. I'm a STO and don't have a 'barn' so much as a little shed with a couple dividers in it, and no place to keep them shut together for any length of time.
Plus, I'm just worn out, this storm has been going on since Sunday, and although the sun is shining, I still have snow blowing around, nothing cleaned out, and a pen of yearlings and another of 2 year olds to take care of besides the cows and newborns.

Maybe it's not the calves that are too old as much as I'm just getting old enough I don't have the will to do it right now. Besides, my daughters have really bonded with their bottle calves, and they will make a good FFA project. It's a lot easier to show a calf you hand raised.

Right now I'm in the house warming up a bit, and writing nonsense on NAT. The snowplow went by about an hour ago, so I just got done clearing the driveway and making another round.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)