AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Turnpath
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/16/2024 05:37 (#10741387 - in reply to #10732870)
Subject: Turn Path observations now that planting is completed

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My great nephew does all the planting now and used Turn Path this year. I had an opportunity to plant a few rounds so he could look into a different problem on the tillage tractor. I was amazed at how effortlessly the system made the turns on the Headlands. Basically I just slowed down slightly and raised the planter after leaving the main portion of the field. The system had alerted me with a strange sound that it was going to go into Turn Path mode. It switched from auto steer on the AB line to the Turn Path shown on the screen. Once the system reverted back to to auto steer for the next pass, I lowered the planter somewhat prior to the main portion of the field, Auto swath retracted the Sure Vac plungers and planting resumed. I then returned to normal planting speed. After the second round, it felt very comfortable.

Our fields are generally all rectangles with few point rows. I don't know if my Great Nephew changed the default settings which affect the Turn Path or not. With a 24 row planter and not many obstacles, the defaults may have been acceptable. They looked fine to me with my limited exposure. Now that the corn has emerged, the results look fine.

One of our last fields of soybeans borders a small lake and farmstead. The Headlands on that side have several curves. Some are rather sharp. Turning around on that Headland gets a bit tight as compared to our other fields. My Great Nephew said he expected that he would need to make the turns on that edge manually as in the past.

He said that Turn Path handled those turns very well. Apparently it made adjustments in the Turn sequence based on the Border and other factors. I believe the onscreen depiction of the upcoming turn was shown on the screen and changed as necessary.

All in all, we are very impressed with it. I will try it with Steady Steer in my combine for soybean harvest. The various patterns for unloading on the go appear interesting. I use the Headsight feeler system for corn so Turn Path will not be available then since the Steady Steer motor is controlled by the Headsight feeler controller.

Edited by tedbear 5/16/2024 05:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)