AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thank God for Brazil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Cooperator
Posted 5/31/2024 11:00 (#10758014 - in reply to #10756349)
Subject: RE: Thank God for Brazil

Central Alberta

I've always been a bit puzzled by all the antipathy against ethanol in gasoline.
Here's an excerpt:
"There are four problems with ethanol:

1.) It is corrosive when in contact with certain materials in fuel storage and delivery systems, including some rubber compounds and the zinc and aluminum alloys used in carburetors.

2.) Because it is an alcohol, ethanol dries out the rubber components in a fuel system. This leads to cracking and brittle fuel lines, floats, seals and diaphragms.

3.) Ethanol is hygroscopic – it likes water. Water enters fuel containers when they are filled up. Once in the gasoline, it forms a chemical mix that causes corrosion of internal parts. As the fuel level in a tank or container drops, water condenses on the cool surfaces of the vessel, drops and runs down into the fuel where the ethanol welcomes it.

4.) It acts as a solvent in older engines, dissolving the varnish and other deposits in tanks and lines. These then are carried to the carburetor or injection system where they can clog the small orifices involved."

Most of those things don't seem half-bad to me.  My own brother refused to borrow some gasoline from me because "it might contain ethanol."  Where did all this hatred for ethanol come from? 
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)