AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn ratings 6th best start in 20 years
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ZCZFarmer
Posted 6/4/2024 06:38 (#10762824 - in reply to #10762595)
Subject: RE: About the averages.....

Minnesota
I'm beginning to watch the potential of a delayed crop. At this point, any corn planted early in Minnesota took way more GDU's than what would be expected to emerge. By the book a lot of corn should be past V6 and its around V4. I believe in wet springs like that, saturated ground and lack of oxygen for the seed drastically slows the growth and development. In our part of the corn belt, these are precious days and GDU's that are extremely hard to get back. Not impossible, but the odds are against you. The cornbelt as a whole got very lucky in 2019 to not have disasters everywhere (even though I considered it a disaster when the June planted corn was 35%, way below APH, and light TW). It could have been much worse as we had a relatively warm and late fall that year. Now I'm not saying we are 2019 because the histogram of planting dates looks a lot different, but generally similar in that a larger percentage of crop got planted a bit later in the calendar than what we'd consider normal even though by the average metric we are fine. Next year we can finally get that 2019 year out of these 5 year averages which we cannot deny is affecting that average more than normal when it was likely the slowest planting pace on record. My question is starting to become could we be traveling down a path where we are going to have to rely on one of those warm and late falls again?

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.ne...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)