AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

30x100 silo going up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Glendon_B
Posted 6/5/2024 17:04 (#10764743 - in reply to #10764380)
Subject: RE: 30x100 silo going up

Bethel, PA
Jay NE Ohio - 6/5/2024 12:19

CanadianCowMan - 6/5/2024 09:16

How would the price to build this silo compare to a concrete bunker that would hold a similar amount? It would be ideal for my small dairy herd of 35-40 cows but nobody in our area would know anything about silos, blowers and unloaders. All knowledge and parts would have to come from quite a distance.

This silo should hold 2500 ton. If you go to this website, you can see what combination of bunkers it would take to hold 2500 ton: https://wieserconcrete.com/product/bunker-silo/

For simplicity, lets look at one 64' wide by 144' long by 12' high bunker.

Need two walls. 144'x12'x12inches each. Total 128 yards concrete

Need a floor. 66'x144'x6 inches. 176 yards concrete.

304 yards concrete at $170 per yard= $51,680.

My silo is 264 yards = $44,880.

About $7k less concrete for the silo.

It only takes up 900 square feet of space where the bunker would take up 9500 square feet. That is almost a quarter acre for the bunker! Plus you would probably need an apron on each end.

Also need to add on excavating cost for that quarter acre because we are not flat here. I dug the footer for my silo in about 8 hours with a mini.

Then you have plastic cost every year. And tires to hold the plastic. And fuel for packing. And you will probably want a defacer. You probably already have a loader, but you will be adding hours to that loader every day.

And most people forget about the spoilage. Lets figure 10% for bunker vs. 5% for silo. That would be 125 ton per year extra loss with a bunker. $60 per ton is $7500 every year!

Exactly. Bunker silos do work well for many farmers, but that doesn't mean they are the best fit for all of us. I don't think I would manage a bunker silo well enough to be happy with one. Silos and unloaders are more specialized, but than management is simpler with a silo and unloaders are simple to repair compared to a loader. We milk 120 cows on 62 acres, so I don't want to chop up part of a field to make room for bunker silos.

Edited by Glendon_B 6/10/2024 16:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)