AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a dump box for truck?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/8/2024 15:36 (#10768119 - in reply to #10767930)
Subject: RE: Building a dump box for truck?

SE Manitoba
jcolli140 - 6/8/2024 12:14

I'm getting a retired septic pumper truck to make into a dump truck. Currently running a 1970 something ford L9000 with an L10, 7 speed, and 13.5' box. Pretty much use it exclusively for stockpiling manure, occasionally for hauling some dirt or cleaning g up stumps from treelines. I have hauled stone with it but there's local guys who will haul stone for little more than what I can so I hire stone hauled. Getting back to the new truck, it's a 2007 freightliner fl80 I think with a 450 Mercedes, 8LL, lockers, spring ride. 237" from back of cab to back of frame. I'd like to make this into a multi purpose box, something low enough to load with skidloader for stockpiling manure to farther farms during summer like i do now and also able to put sides on it to haul grain with. Would a guy be better off building/ buying something like a silage box like you see the silage guys run or go with an actual dumptruck box. I know most dumptrucks have the tunnel in the front of the box with the staged cylinder that raises it while grain trucks use a hoist under the bed but i don't know the reason for the difference. The manure can be pretty wet bedpack at times and other times light, and obviously hauling dirt occasionally is heavy. Just wondering if anyone else has a setup like this and what your thoughts are. Thanks.

Years ago this was a not uncommon rigup.

Problem - - - something strong enough to handle the heavy work really cuts your load capacity for the grain work.

Dunno - - - today I think I might be inclined to have 2 boxes - - one for grain and another for the heavy work.
(Hook it up to just pull your pins from the back hinge and off the top of the post hoist - - not really that hard to hook up nor use. (I'd suggest a stand for the boxes so that you could just back in, pull pins, back to second box push in pins and you're off!
You could use your present box for the heavy work but you would need to modify your hoist location and also change the hoist (you would need a lot more stroke on the grain box). A post hoist is a great strong and fast hoist!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)