AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need to keep 24 yr old busy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

centralmnangus
Posted 6/9/2024 11:43 (#10769058 - in reply to #10768226)
Subject: RE: need to keep 24 yr old busy

Ft. Ripley MN
Green Acres Guy - 6/8/2024 17:32

Buy a sidedump with a high side kit and haul rock, manure, and silage, pays double to triple of hauling grain? Although you mentioned he didn't want to haul grain full time. Is the commitment there if he wants out of an easy, albeit boring job, like hauling with a hopper to justify his pay? Sometimes one has to do jobs they don't like to do jobs they do... What happens on a weekend when the cattle get out, pigs are sick, or anything involving deads is involved if he doesn't even like hauling grain? I sound old now (43) but there seem to be many 20-30 year olds farming because they think it is easy and their dads let them get away with it. some "character building" helps builds long term commitment.

I ran the rendering truck for a couple weeks in the middle of summer about 25 years ago to help a friend out when a guy quit, Makes any other job look amazing. My dad used to hire me out with the little 1500 gallon betterbuilt vaccum tank cleaning out septic tanks. The things people flush are interesting..... I also had to do the midnight runs to salebarns to pick up cattle with the gooseneck. My uncle would go to sales and often buy 2 trailer loads, he would bring one load back with him and I would take off at anywhere from 9 pm to 3 am for the second load. We are about 2-3 hours away from the bigger feeder calf sale barns. Running a pot may be an option to look at? I used to load pigs for Murphy and Smithfield too. Ran the loading crew and the bifold pen gate for 110,000 head a year for 5 years. Its good to learn you are not too good to do any job on an operation.

This right here^^^^

There are things I’m not a fan of doing but they need to be done… you’re in a losing game if you’re gonna cater to make him happy!! You honestly might need a case of tough love and tell him to suck it buttercup…
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)