AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AC fence charger set up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

EarlJay
Posted 6/10/2024 13:52 (#10770155)
Subject: AC fence charger set up

Southern Ohio
I've never been real knowledgeable on electricity. My current set up is an older charger that doesn't have a bunch of juice so I got a new Fence Master Old Timer that I understand is a pretty good one.

I currently have the old one plugged into an outlet on my house and grounded to an existing ground rod for the house, which I understand is way less than ideal. The hot wire is an insulated wire running underground, under a gravel driveway, in a scrap water line for extra protection. It connects to the fence 40-50 feet away.

I want to set this new charger up "right." I believe it requires 3 or 4 ground rods. I understand that these grounds should be set up away from any utility lines for the house and ideally I'd put them near the fence 50 feet away but I'm also told they should be within 6 feet of the charger..... and the charger would be on the house near the utilities that the grounds should be away from. Am I making sense? Is my best bet to just bite the bullet and run electricity underground 50 feet away and have an outlet out near the fence? Am I missing another option?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)