AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar Grazing Sheep & Sheep In General
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/12/2024 10:21 (#10772115 - in reply to #10772091)
Subject: RE: Solar Grazing Sheep & Sheep In General

SE Manitoba
kipps - 6/12/2024 10:03

Here in Virginia, sheep appear to be as or more profitable than cow/calf pairs. That's assuming you can keep them contained, and can keep coyotes out of the flock.

I'm still focusing on dairy cattle, so I haven't bothered much with sheep or beef cattle. But if it came down to picking one of those, I would seriously consider sheep instead of the ubiquitous Angus herd.

Edit: have the plans been finalized and constructed started? Or is there still time to ask for modifications of the original plan? I suspect that everyone involved would want the panels higher off the ground if grazing will be included in the long-term plan.

Well - - - I would echo Kipps response - - - panels a touch higher from the ground would make life easier!!!!

A potential problem - - - water!
Not really a problem but something to overcome would be that if you were rotationally managing this area you would like quite a group of sheep - - - dunno how many actually (I wouldn't start with the whole amount anyway)
but running over a 1000 girls would not be a small job imo.

You could even have it as a sheep dairy but getting a lot of high quality dairy ewes would NOT be easy!!! (You might be even hard pressed to start with 30 imo!)

I would pursue the opportunity for sure but then you would need to have access to feed and facilities to manage the girls the other 7 months of the year although you might even be able to squeak out 6 months of grazing if you include drys.

(Wish I had an opportunity like this here - - - I'd be ALL over it!!!)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)