AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wet bale fire hazard.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/13/2024 13:40 (#10773389 - in reply to #10773257)
Subject: RE: Wet bale fire hazard.

southern MN
I’ve baled poor quality wet bales in my time. I’m in southern Mn, it is just a fact of life here too humid too rainy for some portion of every year.

I wouldn’t have those bales in my building, and I wouldn’t have them stacked high.

I wouldn’t sleep at night!

I’d have them spread out a few inches anpart from each other and I would have them a fire break distance away from a building.

Paul

Edit: I think the deal is, the wet hay ferments, causing heat. The heat eventually dries out a portion of the hay. If the heat is high enough and the hay gets dry enough at the same time and place, a fire starts.

If there is more air flow, as in the bales are not stacked tight, then a little bit more air flies through, and a little bit less thermal mass is there to hold heat. Water vapor can escape a bit faster. All together, the bale gets to dry state a little quicker and is slightly less likely to combust. With them stacked 5 high, the bottom bales are more compressed, hold more heat and water vapor, which gets passed up to the bale above. So you will eventually have dried out hay near the bottom, but a real hot spot still moving up the column of bales.

Edited by paul the original 6/13/2024 13:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)