AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar Grazing Sheep & Sheep In General
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/13/2024 14:07 (#10773406 - in reply to #10772447)
Subject: RE: Solar Grazing Sheep & Sheep In General

southern MN
puff33m - 6/12/2024 15:48

Solar farms here have suspended wires 1' off the ground. Alot of them. Cattle would destroy them like a bull in a china shop. I would worry about sheep eating them out of boredom. And I know they would stand on them.

As hard as it is to find 500 acres of grass id explore it. But it would probably grow more like 40 acres of grass.

Grass and solar panels collect sunlight to produce. Whatever the solar panels collect, and support structures shade, is going to be 0-50% productive, maybe average 25% grass production?

What portion of the 500 acres is actually covered by panels? What portion of the 500 acres is covered by gravel or concrete or such? What portion of the 500 acres gets full sun on the grass?

Water would be interesting to follow as well. I assume the rains would end up flowing well enough to keep grass growing, but are there extra dry and extra wet areas from run off of the structures?

How many actual acres of real growing productive grass is available from the 500 acres for the sheep to harvest?

Stocking rates, fence costs, (stocking rate vs area fenced) and liability to the solar farm would be a big consideration.

When the 400 acre solar farms were introduced around here my brother in law encouraged me to get to the front of the line, because the Twin Cities news paper told him farmers could get the payments from the panels, and farm the land under them like always. Big win win for everyone.

What can you say to something like that, but do a face plant and sigh and move on. City folk are so well informed.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)