AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Idaho Irrigation water
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ICC
Posted 6/16/2024 11:30 (#10776344 - in reply to #10776107)
Subject: RE: Idaho Irrigation water

deep in the southeastern corner of Idaho
It is a total mess. There are a lot of fingers being pointed at each other and everyone is loosing. Not being affected I do not know all the details. I have had some of it explained to me by those that know what is really happening and I still am not sure exactly what to think. I do think there has been a little bit "flexing muscles" to see how the new director of the Idaho Dept. of Water is going handle things compared to our recently retired director. Both men I have worked with directly and respect them a great deal and feel in the end it will be handled correctly. Maybe not how some want but correctly.

I have been on both sides of watching water flow by as my crops have suffered, as a senior water right holder, has made a call on the water and also making that call that I wanted water and knowing that friends and neighbors up stream have watched the water cross over state lines, with their crops suffering, as they watch the water flow by to be delivered to me since I have an older water right in a tri state compact. It sucks both ways. I feel for all involved.

I believe it will be worked out but both sides are going to have to give to make it work. Ag wells have been curtailed in Idaho for years but anyone can drop a well for domestic use which is pulling huge amounts of water from that aquifer. I was told by IDWR people in a meeting I attended recently that the well count in that area is up in the thousands per year since covid but our legislature will do nothing to stop it. The bottom line is Agriculture is going to get pushed out as growth happens in Idaho and surrounding states. Sorry Russ but not many are tough enough to move into your neighbor hood but they sure like that fertile ground in the Magic valley to turn AG ground into concrete and asphalt. Until our legislature decides to grow a set and say wait we need AG more than we need housing it will never end.

My wife bought me a shirt that says "Don't complain about a farmer with your mouth full" I like to wear it to the P&Z meetings I attend when I get a notice that more ag ground is being taken out of production for housing in our County. I get a lot of head shakes but at least my stance is known without me saying a whole lot. Hope everyone is have a fantastic FATHERS DAY, but we all know it is the good women behind us that make our lives what they are!!!!!
May God bless us all.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)