AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to make physical marks on touch screen?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/17/2024 08:06 (#10777309 - in reply to #10774107)
Subject: Approaches i've used

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
This is not exactly your situation but along the lines of "pulling in on the correct set of rows while spraying".

At one point in time, I had a Deere 4720 sprayer without any assisted steering or auto steer. It used the Deere Brown box for various items including the spray control. I had a Raven RGL standalone lightbar from a previous situation. I installed the Raven light bar and the accompanying Raven Phoenix GPS on the sprayer.

I could have used the lightbar as a guide for broadacre spraying. However, all my spraying was done on rowed corn and rowed soybeans. This meant I visually steered by observing the rows.

I was able to use the lightbar to help "guide" me onto the correct set of rows after turning around to make a return pass. The RGL lightbar had various Guidance Patterns available. The most commonly used was the standard AB line where all the guidance lines are generated off of the original AB line. The lines could be nudged if necessary.

The RGL also had a guidance pattern referred to as SED (Seed). With this pattern, the operator set an AB line as usual. As the rig approached the far end, the operator pushed a button on the remote which caused the system to perform a "GPS correction calibration". It noted the current position of the rig and then computed the next AB line based on that location and swath width. I thought of this as an automatic nudge. The effect was that any GPS or planter creep was accounted for since the line was updated based on the actual position of the sprayer from the current pass. Since not much time would pass between the operator's button push for the GPS correction calibration and turning around for the next pass, the information was current.

Once I pushed the button just prior to reaching the end. the swath was advanced to the next pass. I turned around as usual. There was a count down indicator on the RGL indicating how my current position compared to the new AB line. It was a bit "behind" but I soon learned how much to "lead" it for pulling back in.

This might seem like several extra steps but it soon became natural. I would just push the button on the remote prior to reaching the end and then make my turn as usual. I would watch the count down value as a guide for pulling back in.

Later I switched to a 3 point sprayer on a tractor with auto steer. I would use the AB lines from planting since both the planter and sprayer were 60'. Again I would steer down the rows manually but use the auto steer to steer the tractor onto the next set of rows. I would start to make the turn manually and then once auto steer "caught" the next AB line, I would engage auto steer. It would steer the tractor onto the next set of rows. I would then disengage auto steer and steer that pass manually.

Edited by tedbear 6/17/2024 08:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)