AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How late have you made first cut hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/20/2024 08:16 (#10780867 - in reply to #10779284)
Subject: RE: How late have you made first cut hay?

southern MN
One of those worthless stories:

I farm some wet ground, about 8 acres is a swamp that dries up enough to make grass hay on. Most of the time. When it’s in water like this year, it’s a mess. On a dry year, it’s good hay.

One year it just stayed wet, but not really under water all summer.

About mid august it dried out. The first growth of hay had matured and was drying down, the second growth of hay was in a good time. So, it was an ugly rank mess of old dry hay and new growth.

I cut it because, well, better than feeding snowballs and all that, as well as it gets the growth away for next year.

Round baler decided not to work, so I square baled it. (That wasn’t a good year all around…)

Didn’t really need the small square bales, so I took a load to the hay auction. Hoped I’d get the twine and fuel paid for. Baled didn’t look just too bad, considering what they were.

Think I got near the top of the bids that day, was over $4 a bale. Lot of hay went in the $2 range that day.

I’m glad I didn’t have to list what cutting it was, I’m not sure if saying 1st cutting baled in late August would really be believed.

Few years later I took a load of the nicest alfalfa I’ve ever made, leafy and green and dry. Barely got $2 a bale, just wasn’t an alfalfa day at the auction. So, karma. I got over double for some of the poorest stuff I sold, vs some of the best. In my opinion.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)