AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pasture rent.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SamT
Posted 6/20/2024 14:18 (#10781272 - in reply to #10781183)
Subject: RE: Pasture rent.

Yea in these dense pastures that have some grass, the cattle will walk in seeds and smash little trees and stuff. They open one up a bunch. Grazing a bunch for a short period will let the new grasses establish while your off vs dumping a few in year round. This place is always full of winter grass too, letting that grow without grazing really suppresses the warm season grass too. If I could run 30-40 pairs in it for 4 months total of the year that would take a lot of pressure off what I own across the road and should benefit both places.

I’ll have to run a hot and a ground wire. Come august the fence won’t shock them without it. It’s a mile from the house and close to zero traffic so I could put them up every day if needed, but this looks like a good cotton year and there’s cotton on 3 sides that 3 of the farmers are good friends of mine and one is a jack wagon I don’t care about. Definitely don’t want them damaging my friends cotton.

I have plenty of smooth wire, so if heat that and run a barbed ground wire. That really sharp gaucho stuff works good on small calves that would crawl under the hot and it’s cheap. You can separate them with a screw driver if they be wrapped where as 2 barbs you’ll have to shut the fence off and fight with it. I have lots of rebar posts we use for temporary fence but seems the T posts spread far are way better. And a guy could fill them in later if needed.

Edited by SamT 6/20/2024 14:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)