AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed oils?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/20/2024 23:27 (#10781809 - in reply to #10781488)
Subject: small amounts that are not oxidized or rancid

Pittsburg, Kansas

As long as they are not rancid they probably are not that bad in modest quantities. You would have to eat an awful lot of them to equal the amount of oil a person normally puts on their salad. So quantity would be one part of the equasion. And according to Paul Mason it is not the oil as much as it is the rancidity that causes the oxidized byproducts to be incorporated into our cell walls. The modern way vegetable oils are produced are not by squeezing vegetables. It is a chemical process that causes rancidity and oxidized byproducts that are harmful when incorporated into our cell walls. They have to deodorize and add antioxidants to the oils before they are even palatable and where a person would even think about eating it.

Here is a short 5 minute summary of evidence why some of us think eating vegetable oils is not a good thing for our health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVORGly8jeo

Here are some more lengthy presentations for anyone wanting to dig further.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dr+paul+mason+seed+oils

Is he correct? Damned if I know. I have soybeans to sell this fall probably (if it rains and a timely harvest). I hope somebody likes them and the products from them.

As for me I quit using the oils at home five and a half years ago and have not bought any since and also avoid them as much as possible in restaurants by not using any commercial salad dressings. I'm sure I get a little here and there from a hamburger on a grill but I don't lose any sleep over small amounts here and there. But I get zero at home because we just don't buy any and we read labels and don't buy foods that have them as an ingredient.

But that is just me. Not everyone will agree with me and actually that is much to my benefit as a farm owner (and previous farmer retired) that has a product to sell.

My preference is to eat it via beef, pork and chicken as meat after they have converted it to a higher value product. Unless a person eats rancid meat, the oils that are in the fat of the meat are unlikely to be harmful in that form...........because they are not oxidized.

My opinion only.

Edited by John Burns 6/20/2024 23:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)