AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed oils?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/21/2024 23:09 (#10782859 - in reply to #10782829)
Subject: a ketogenic diet can be a very colorful diet

Pittsburg, Kansas

I'm surprised you would not recommend a ketogenic diet. 

When we started it we ate lots of green vegetables. Broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, asparagus, green peppers, cauliflower, etc. Basically all the above ground vegetables. They are all well within boundaries of a ketogenic diet keeping the carbs down around 50 total grams or under (because of my diabetes we shot for 20 or under). That along with all the meat we wanted and berries (low sugar fruit) for desert. We ate meat to satiety and fish sometimes.

We started when we were in Bonaire during the winter and ate lots of stir fry with vegetables and meat including things like kielbasa. I don't know why any nutritionist would argue against a meal like that. It was very colorful with vegetables and very filling with meat.

I lost 100 pounds over about 9 months that way, reversed my diabetes including getting completely off insulin shots within two weeks. In a few months was off blood pressure and a few other medicines. Wife lost a lot of excess weight too.

A ketogenic low carb diet can be very colorful and tasty with lots of different vegetables. Just a matter of excluding the high carb vegetables like potatoes and rice and excluding all grain products.

What health problems do you see in such a diet? All my wife and I have had for five and a half years now are positive health benefits. Can't think of one thing that got worse.

We have slowly gravitated to a more meat based diet in the last two to three years but that has been gradual based on the way we feel the best. The first several years we ate tons of colorful veggies and it was fully ketogenic low carb. I had some lettuce, onion and tomatoes two different times today. Probably a total of 10-15 carbs and probably another 5 carbs for desert tonight which consisted of a low carb creamy desert topped with maybe ten blueberries.

I don't see anything in the way we eat sending us to an early grave. On the contrary, the way we ate before like most Americans...........well let me put it this way. Good friend of my wife's is younger than us, follows doctors recommendations, uses an insulin pump and has had multiple operations removing toes and parts of her foot in two of them because of diabetes complications. I probably would have been headed down that path by now had we not changed our ways and started eating a low carb ketogenic diet. So what is so "dangerous" that you would not recommend a ketogenic diet? Not trying to put you on the spot.........ok, maybe I am. But I would really like to know your objections. On a scale of one to ten, surely a ketogenic diet has to rank higher than what hospitals try to feed patients. I was a patient. My wife shook her head at what they tried to feed me as a diabetic. Even though I don't remember any of it, she said I would eat the meat and push the rest aside. So I guess I was not totally out of it.

Edited by John Burns 6/21/2024 23:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)