AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seed oils?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RDinMN
Posted 6/22/2024 09:59 (#10783246 - in reply to #10782859)
Subject: RE: a ketogenic diet can be a very colorful diet

Southwestern Minnesota
I'm surprised that you're surprised that you think I would not recommend a ketogenic diet!

We have discussed this in detail in the past- a recent thread was 2/23/24 that you started on the "Value of Ketones". There was quite a long discussion about this. I don't know how to cut/paste a thread to refer back to this post, but if you go back to look at that, it pretty much explains my point of view on that. Here is the link I provided in one of my responses at that time: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10121483/#:~:text=Some%...

Keto diet will help with weight loss, for sure. You have done well to control your diabetes with the diet and eliminate your need for insulin. It's working very well for you. I think low carb at around 100 grams per day is a good goal for most people. Most people do consume way more than that, and that is a problem.

You say when you started on the keto diet your goal was 50 grams- that's doable and allows for some fruits and vegetables. Kudos to you for including those colorful vegetables and fruit. It sounds like you have transitioned down to around 20 grams. That makes it harder to get all the nutrients you need. Also, in my experience in working with people who want to be on a keto diet, they are NOT interested in eating colorful, low carb fruits and vegetables. What they like is that they can have large portions of bacon and eggs for breakfast and large portions of meat at meals and do NOT include vegetables. They like to snack on meat and pork rinds (just kidding, but had to say that). If you are including those green vegetables and being mindful of the importance of those nutrients, then that's great.

Long term, mild ketosis is probably not harmful, however, if you have any underlying health issues (like kidney disease) then you need to be more cautious with high protein diets. Also our body is set up to use carbohydrates as quick fuel and then go to the reserves after the quick fuel is used up. This system would work much better if we didn't consume so many carbohydrates and then end up storing those excess carbs as body fat.

My personal goal is a lower carb diet with as little ultra-processed foods as possible. I do not have diabetes, so for me my goal is about 100 grams of carbs per day. If you can manage your diabetes and weight without meds and enjoy the quality of life you have- good for you!

As far as the topic of menus in the hospital- that is a topic for another day. I have been the writer of those menus and that is easier said than done. I've written NH menus as well. When you take into consideration regulations from the Health Dept, the budget allowed from Administration, the requirement for using the buying group products allowed for your facility, the amount of labor you have to produce the meals, the fact that you are making three meals per day every day of the week, that your kitchen/food prep area is in a different location than where the patients are at, trying to accommodate patients/residents who are sick and on special diets, and provide as much accommodation to personal preferences as possible, you have an impossible task. Enough said about that! I'm glad that my institutional menu writing days are over.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)