AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silo looks good Jay!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bsfarms
Posted 6/23/2024 13:30 (#10784585 - in reply to #10783765)
Subject: RE: Silo looks good Jay!!!

south central WI
Jay NE Ohio - 6/22/2024 17:30

r82230 - 6/22/2024 15:50

I took one look at all them doors and said to myself "sure glad it's not me that has to mess with all of them". Of course, maybe there is a better way to handle them in today's world, then way back in the day I'm thinking of.

Looks good BTW.

The way I look at it: Going to feed 2 feet of silage per week. 2 doors per month. Once per month, I have to move the conveyor down. These doors are hinged, so I don't have to lift them like we used to do with the stave silos.

I've never used a bunker. I assume that you need to peel back plastic and stack tires at certain intervals? Once a week? Twice a week? I don't know, but I would rather be inside a silo when it is raining or snowing than on top of a bunker carrying tires.

All bunkers here, but we did use silos up til about 10 years ago. Remove tires once a week here, and plan it for days that aren't raining. You stay cleaner removing tires than climbing a chute, especially high moisture corn! Other negatives I remember are frozen silage against the walls and slower feed out times and fill times. Fill time probably doesn't matter unless the chopper is big enough and has to wait. You can also change the capacity of the bunker by just filling it higher...to a point.

There are a lot of positives with the silo, especially with the weather we are having now. It's been raining 2-5 days a week here. Every day it rains, you have to guess on the moisture of the feed you are using that day, and the following day or 2 also. After 25+ years doing it, I've gotten somewhat good at guessing. No tires to stack or place, and no plastic to dispose of.

I don't think we would switch back, but silos have a lot positives that would make me at least consider them...but not for very long. Lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)