AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Changing Dairy Industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jmart
Posted 6/24/2024 07:51 (#10785476 - in reply to #10783742)
Subject: RE: This guy is going a different direction with his 100 cow Dairy

Lancaster PA
Jim - 6/22/2024 19:01

john s - 6/22/2024 12:43 https://www.todaysfarmermagazine.com/mag/2285-delighting-in-dairy Rather unfortunate for him maybe, about a week after this article came out DFA told him they would no longer pick up his milk which according to the article is where about 85% of his production goes. If you do things differently be careful how much attention you draw to yourself..

What was it in the article that seems to have caused DFA to drop him? Selling some raw milk on the side? 15% of the milk from a 70 cow dairy can't have much effect on their business.

When the milk price crashed after covid I looked in to what I needed to do to get a permit to sell raw milk. My family and I have always drank our own raw milk. That said, I'm not someone who thinks that it's a miracle food. I drink it because I like the taste, I know where it comes from and it's "free". I just figured if people would buy it i could make some extra money. I called the pennsylvania depth of agricultural and got the information on what was required. The person I spoke to called me back an hour later to ask who we shipped our milk to. When I told him DFA he said DFA will not allow us to sell raw milk. His explanation was if my raw milk made someone sick it could get on the news that someone got sick drinking milk from a DFA farm. This wouldn't be good for DFA .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)