AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Changing Dairy Industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Sidneyfarmer
Posted 6/24/2024 08:35 (#10785524 - in reply to #10783357)
Subject: RE: Changing Dairy Industry

Sheridan Mi
I don't know why people listen to what "They say", whoever "they" are. I wonder if they really think they're taking advice or if their ideas are being validated. I've talked to so many guys over the years who quit, they claim, because "They" said you have to get big or get out. I think ones who got big did it because they wanted to, the ones who quit did it because they were tired of milking cows and knew there was a better way to live. I started milking a week or so before I turned 16 and milked alone before school my last two years of high school. but I'll level with you, even though I was heavily involved in the industry in Michigan Milk Producers Assn, milking cows wasn't what I really wanted to do. I wanted a herd of black cows.

I milked until I was 48. The kids didn't want to keep it up, the wife had a good job and I had the chance to finally have a herd of Angus cows, so the milk cows left so fast that they left skid marks. I didn't do it because of anybody's advice, in fact, the popular consensus was that I would loose my backside with the beef cows. "They" were wrong again. Life's good. Or as one guy told me after his cows went down the road in the buyout back in 85, there's life after milking cows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)