AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What does agtalk know about dementia
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mark F
Posted 6/25/2024 14:16 (#10787095 - in reply to #10786027)
Subject: RE: What does agtalk know about dementia

Be absolutely certain that her legal affairs are such that she cannot make major financial moves without you or another one of her children signing also. I had a relative/landlord I had been farming with for 10 years get dementia. He had told me there were no plans of selling the farmland, his kids were directed to rent or sell to me when he passed, I could farm the CRP when that expires this year.......A week later he called and said he sold everything, for less than 2/3's of what it was realistically worth, costing him and his heirs immensely.

My grandmother had Alzheimer's. Loved playing cards. When it was her turn to deal, she would shuffle and let you cut. Then she would shuffle and let you cut. Then she would shuffle and let you cut. Finally, you'd just say go ahead and deal Grandma, otherwise she'd shuffle all afternoon. Then she would tell a story from 50 years ago like it was yesterday.

I've not been faced with the choice, but it would take a very patient person to take care of someone in that state 24/7. The staff at the homes gets a break from it at the end of the shift.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)