AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gambling's impact on baseball
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/25/2024 21:59 (#10787586)
Subject: Gambling's impact on baseball

Driftless SW Wisconsin

As a life-long baseball fan, I am shocked to see the extent that even MLB itself is going to encourage betting on baseball games. 

You can't watch a game on TV without being bombarded by ads encouraging betting.

I would think there are a lot of young people getting sucked into gambling on sports of all kinds, with odds given on your phone and incentives from a wide variety of sources.

Now there is evidence of baseball players being threatened with physical harm because of betting. Frankly I think it has a good chance of ruining the "national pass time" and field of dreams. Even stars like Ohtani are very close to emerging betting scandal.

It makes you wonder if that late inning pitch down the middle hit for a game winning (actually losing) home run or a muffed fielding play by a usually sure handed infielder is part of some pressure from betting interests.

Here's an eye-opening USA Today article on some pretty disappointing but probably predictable stuff resulting from the big push to bet on baseball

Just another "revenue stream"? And from "people who don't have the money to lose"

Edited by Jim 6/25/2024 22:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)