AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa Utilities Board approves Summit Carbon Pipeline in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

timis
Posted 6/25/2024 22:59 (#10787643 - in reply to #10787475)
Subject: RE: Iowa Utilities Board approves Summit Carbon Pipeline in Iowa

Iowa
Needs to go to a federal court - not state. Iowa is part of the 8th circuit. Your appeal is that this isn’t for “public purpose” (it used to have to be “public use”) as the Supreme Court ruled in I believe 2005. Then once it gets to the Supreme Court they have the opportunity to overturn (which would probably happen) Kelo vs New London which allowed a more lenient approach to property seizures. Case was 5-4 with the liberal judges siding with the city, I believe all 4 dissenting votes are still on, plus 2 additional that would rule in the same way. If you try the state route I think the dirty politics in DesMoines will come into play. Reason I say find the liberal judge is we all have seen how they work hand in hand with liberal activists (who ironically are on our side here) and will put stays on government processes- you’ve got to have one that will 100% rule in your favor or it’s over.

That’s the big issue here - we’ve gone from “public use” (roads bridges) to “public use with private profit” (nat gas/oil pipelines) to “public purpose” (government chooses what they like more or who’s the most connected- so we’re gonna take it)—- that’s a real erosion of property rights. Next stop is “were seizing the means of production”
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)