AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Allulose rare sugar shows benefits in rats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 6/27/2024 07:25 (#10789014 - in reply to #10788305)
Subject: RE: Allulose rare sugar shows benefits in rats

Pittsburg, Kansas

That was pretty good if you just listened to what he said and kind of ignored his biases. He seemed to cover the studies pretty well. I kind of agree with one of the comments below the video a ways - "After suffering through that entire video the conclusion is “eh don’t know if it’s worth taking?”"

I think most of the doctors and researchers I follow the thought on allulose is "cautiously optimistic".

My personal current idea is cut out sugar. Which we have done 98%. But there are still a few recipes where it just makes it work and taste better with a little sugar. Like the low carb deserts she makes ahead. The recipe makes about 10 servings which she puts in individual half pint jars with lids and keeps in the refrigerator. We have one of these each night after supper. The ten servings might get a tablespoon of sugar or honey total plus if it is a chocolate desert whatever small amount is in one square per serving of 85% chocolate. Divided by ten servings it is a fairly small amount with the rest of the day zero sugar. So we were looking at allulose to replace that last very small amount of sugar that just takes some of the bitterness out of the dark chocolate. Allulose is not as sweet as regular sugar.

I think if a person is wanting to totally replace the current sweetness of lots of sweetened with sugar stuff with allulose probably not such a good idea. If a person who has already cut out most of the added sugar in foods and just wants to use it sparingly I think there is hopeful optimism. It may work, which is kind of what the video you provided kind of also came up with. I would call him cautiously un-optimistic.

As far as the processing, good point.

Edit: also I have been using a half teaspoon to a full teaspoon of allulose in my morning coffee part of the time. I'm trying to decide if it actually makes a difference. It is not enough to make the coffee sweet. What I kind of concluded is it just takes a bit of the harshness out of the taste. It really doesn't make much difference to me whether I use it or not. Tastes fine both ways. But I will continue to experiment for a while as we have a supply of it on hand currently.

It may become a "bridge" sweetener to help people get off their sugar addiction. Lower the cravings over time. Still unknown for sure. I want to be careful with it so as to not go the other way. I don't want to use enough of it to get used to "sweet" things again and start my cravings back up. I have to be careful with fruit in that respect.

Edited by John Burns 6/27/2024 07:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)