AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drive rollers on JD 569 Baler ...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 6/30/2024 15:46 (#10793460)
Subject: Drive rollers on JD 569 Baler ...

Eastern NE KS
Are the upper and lower drive rollers the same size?

These parts have two different part numbers but look the same with a small exception. The lower roller has 1.25"x~1/8" key stock welded at an angle to sweep hay into the bale chamber from the ends of the roller sticking thru the wall of the baler. I'm about to measure the circumference of the old upper roller and a refurbish lower roller I purchased Thursday. The lower roller was tagged with the upper roller's number and sold to me as an upper. However, it has the sweeps and unnoticed at purchase, 'Bottom' is written on the drive shaft.

If the circumferences are equal, I plan to continue installing the purchase. Measuring the chamber wall holes to make sure both are the same size is not hardly possible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Immaterial to my question is how I ruined the upper drive roller which now has a twisted shaft on the left/driven end. Of course the bearing failed and I didn't catch the problem. This bearing is behind a large sprocket and largely hidden from easy view. I failed to temp check my baler's bearing on 3 smallish jobs. The 3rd was a bad deal. The friction and heat was enough to twist the shaft making it junk like the bearing, bearing holder and holder bracket.

All this is fixable with about $3400 in parts. The right side bearing is failing now and needs replacement. It is leaking grease because the roller sagged down about 2.5" at the left end.

I report this confession because my lesson can be shared and may help any of you with a JD round baler.

If I/you think that stopping to check bearing temps early on a days run is a time waste think of my over $3000 expense. If I would have caught the bearing failure on time, it would have cost just under $150.

Years ago, I had a bearing failure many bales post the early temp check but caught it by smell or noise when opening a cab window. During these 3 small jobs, the baler sounded normal and no smell of fire.

Edited by Doug61 6/30/2024 15:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)