AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven 460 manual rate control
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 7/3/2024 09:13 (#10796821)
Subject: Raven 460 manual rate control

Faunsdale, AL
I have a 460 in my SpraCoupe 4640. I have been limping along with it but the display is going black, so I will have to do something soon anyway.

Yesterday it couldn’t control the rate, it’s like throttling valve was stuck open. Set on 8.5 gpa and couldn’t get it below 25 on automatic. Each time I would start up it would be over 40 gpa on the display but booms weren’t actually up to pressure with only a few nozzles opening.

It uses gps speed signal out of a EZ Guide 250 the previous owner had installed. But, it has always sprayed out when sitting still for checking nozzles, flushing out etc EVEN WHEN SET ON AUTO. Maybe that’s not normal? I just don’t have enough experience to know when it’s doing what it’s supposed to or not! If it puts out what it’s supposed to within a gpa or so I’ve been happy.

I spent way too long testing, disassembling, reassembling and retesting the throttling valve and agitate on-off valve. As near as I can tell the throttling valve at least is working fine with a battery source. I couldn’t find anything wrong, throttling/rate valve turns easily without motor and drives from stop to stop when I apply voltage and back again when I reverse polarity.

Agitation valve may not be working, I could never figure out how to hook up the 3 wires on the bench to test it. With just the motor not hooked to the valve, it’ll drive continuous one way the way I had it hooked up. I think it crosses the notch in the cam so fast that it just hesitates a half second. So, I know motor is good. I couldn’t get it to ever go back the other way, but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to control it to accomplish that. Limit switches test good with contacts switching as the notch in the cam rotates under the switch, so I think it should work. I have a manual valve I can close if I don’t want agitation.

So, assuming the 460 control is bad, how do I actually control it in manual mode? My 460 doesn’t have an increase-decrease switch on the console itself, but there is a rocker switch in the panel below it. Should I be able to put it in manual and then run the pressure up and down with that switch if my harness and throttling valve is good?

I have never noticed the separate switch before, when I’ve attempted to control it manually I’ve been pressing the up and down buttons on key 1 and 2. Nothing happens now when I’m watching the valve and have someone hit those buttons, so I’m thinking that was wrong all this time. I have never needed it to actually spray in manual mode since it would spray sitting still in auto for checking nozzles etc.

Should be simple but I’ve just been cranking it up, setting the rate on auto and spraying ever since I got this thing a few years ago. .

Edited by ccjersey 7/3/2024 09:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)