AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Split row planters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

case
Posted 7/3/2024 11:59 (#10796978 - in reply to #10796907)
Subject: RE: Split row planters

Central ND
Lucky0024 - 7/3/2024 10:36

I'm looking for ideas, answers, help and maybe just general info and experience. I'm looking to get a split row planter so I can plant corn and soybeans with just one machine and save me time planting. I currently use a 6 row corn planter and a small homemade soybean planter that uses soybean cups. I'm looking to upgrade so I can singulate my soybeans. I thought about a drill but they are just as expensive as a split row planter. I'm looking for a 12/23 or a 16/31. I have been looking at the case 1250's and possibly a kinze. I am only a 300 acre but I also work full time so if I can get in and done quicker the better. My planting tractor is a case mx 270. Any thought would be helpful. Thank you.

All my experience is with a 1790 Deere. But from the prices I see out there, you should be able to buy a 16/31 for about the same money as a 12/23. Unless you get the fairly new 64 cell soybean plate from John Deere, the 108 cell will work pretty good but not have perfect singulation.

2006 introduced the XP row unit, my advice depending on budget, is it's worth the money to get into that. Your MX270 would have no problem pulling it, but you may want to stick to a ground drive vac planter. Not sure how much flow a hydraulic drive would take. If you have singles up front, you'll want at least 1000lbs of weight on the front rack, and even then be ready to help steer with the brakes coming out of the field in transport mode. In plant mode, you'll have no problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)