AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bit of an off the wall idea but… permanently altering a JD1790
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

case
Posted 7/3/2024 12:05 (#10796983 - in reply to #10796540)
Subject: RE: Bit of an off the wall idea but… permanently altering a JD1790

Central ND
JRCS Farms - 7/2/2024 23:02

We’ve got an older 1790 that needs some TLC. Hasn’t been used the last few years and hate to dump it for little money since it’s in rough shape and it doesn’t cost us anything to keep it at this point.
Considering taking the split rows off and cutting the rear mounting arms off all the way up at the frame to make it a dedicated corn planter. It would open us up to selling a pretty decked out 1770 and if the math is right we’d come out ahead. The frame and structure is sound, so if we rebuilt the 16 corn row units and added some new tech it could be a nice little project.
Anyone done something like this? I know guys have taken the bean rows on and off but anyone gone all the way? Any big drawbacks you see that we’re missing? Just kicking the tires on the idea at this point but it does interest us

Few thoughts, should be easy enough to remove the rear rockshaft rows on the wings. Just need to make sure you set the switch for them so that it reads that they are out of transport position or you wont be able to fold the 1790. If you ever in the future would want to sell it and you torched the rear frame off the center, good luck. Think that would destroy any chance of a sale. You could just remove the center rows and leave the rear frame but that still leaves you with poor access to the center units. You also CANNOT run tracks on a 1790 with the rear frame still there, so again if that's an upgrade you'd like keep that in mind. You would also need to block off all vac ports on the main frame and then seed delivery ports out the bottom of the tanks. You would then always have seed sit in those slots in the bottom of the tank.

What year is the 1790? If it's older than 2006 and still has the non-XP rows, you may want to take that into play and consider just selling it and getting into a 1770 with XP rows. Again, 2006 I believe was the first year.

My real question is if you already have a decked out 1770, why not just sell the 1790, put whatever money in your pocket, and move on? Or maybe I'm missing something as to why you'd want to change up a 1790 a bunch into a big project when you already have a nice 1770? Unless your 1770 is only a 12 row? Then maybe remove the tech you'd like, sell both of them and get into a nicer 16 row 1770. Prices I've seen lately, you might even consider getting into a 24 row.

Not my money to spend, just some thoughts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)