AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine Access and Utility Poles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 7/4/2024 07:06 (#10797739 - in reply to #10797632)
Subject: RE: Combine Access and Utility Poles

East of Broken Bow
andya - 7/4/2024 00:00

These are the two options I've been offered. Pray tell us which one you would choose. You don't get any other option. This was forced on you out of the blue.

1. A 0.25 mile x 40 ft wide easement with a bunch of restrictions and new obligations that goes over cropland on one side (no crops can be planted) with no compensation. Not even legal fees to have someone review it.

2. A wire too low to get a combine onto the field

Be honest.

My point was that I didn't invite any of this.

There always has to be one person that is argumentative instead of constructive.

They put a new fiber optic line by my place a few years ago. Was originally offered something similar.
They really, really wanted it underground, but wanted some restrictions on it, but not as much as you stated.
Long story short, we worked with them, and they agreed to run the line right at the edge of the ROW, which we don't normally farm directly over anyway. Also be sure it has a clause so that it specifies that the line needs to be buried deep enough so that if we snag it while engaged in a farming practice, we are not liable for damage (basically if we catch it with farm machinery including a subsoiler, we have no liability, but we don't dig in the area with a backhoe without getting the line located first or we could be held responsible. Worked well for us. It seems their first offer which wasn't far from yours was their default offer, hoping people accept it. It didn't take hardly any effort to get them to agree to follow the ROW line. If I had to guess, they were just hoping everyone took their 'offer' because that would take the least amount of time, effort, and $$$ on their end.

(For those that are unfamiliar with the ROW, it is short for 'Right of Way', and it is the imaginary line that separates what I am supposed to farm, and what the county is supposed to maintain for the road.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)