AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric Motor Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

showboat
Posted 7/4/2024 07:47 (#10797781)
Subject: Electric Motor Question

VERY amateur electrician here, but I've never let that stop me.

Found a sizeable irrigation well motor burned up last week. Probably got some water in it. I keep a spare duplicate motor around for this well, as this has happened before, and waiting for a new one to arrive, or an old one to be repaired can cost valuable irrigation days. SO, I removed the burned motor, and replaced it with the spare. I thought the two were identical, and would be wired identically, but such was not the case. Both are 3 phase, 480 volt motors but the new unit had 9 leads to be wired in different combinations to accomodate different voltage situations. With the help of the diagram, I got that figured out and hooked up. Motor runs like a top. BUT, there were actually 11 leads coming out of the motor. In addition to the 9 rather substantial wires which I used, there were 2 VERY small white lines labeled "H". Previous motor did not have these, and I have no idea as to their function, or to what they should be attached. They are so small that they couldn't carry much voltage or amperage. Motor runs great with them NOT hooked to anything. All my input/service lines are accounted for... three "hots" and a ground. All the other 9 wires from the motor are accounted for. So where/how are these last two small wires used. Education appreciated. Thanks. showboat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)