AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

July 4th!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

johnm94
Posted 7/4/2024 22:20 (#10798853 - in reply to #10798752)
Subject: RE: July 4th!

Chih, Mexico
No farming here for me, I am in the used machinery sales.

Great grandparents came down here from Canada in 1922, before that from Russia and before that from Germany and Netherlands

We as Mennonite culture are seen as farmers in general but I haven’t and don’t think I would ever have the chance to start anything. Most farmland is sold anywhere from 15,000-20,000 USD per acre and developed for industrial or residential purposes, with a normal job and having a family to provide for it’s not like that’d be possible to start an operation around here.
My grandfathers on both sides farmed full time their whole working life and never had a side job or something else than land to farm and dairy cattle.

One retired due to health issues and sold his land to live of the money, the other sold land about 10 years ago to pay medical bills a year or so before passing from lung cancer.

Here in Chihuahua 4 hours south of Texas border is what I would consider safer than a lot of the country and as far as the country itself it is a struggle in itself to make it with government and bureaucracy in everything. But I suspect that would be applicable to any government just in a different way.

Edited by johnm94 7/4/2024 22:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)