AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Establishing red clover in wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cows-n-crops
Posted 7/5/2024 09:40 (#10799222 - in reply to #10799157)
Subject: RE: Establishing red clover in wheat

NEMO
Jason1989 - 7/5/2024 07:52

Looking for tips for getting better stand of clover.

Wider row spacing 7-1/2 to 10”?

Seed earlier than late February?

Palisade for shorter wheat?

Treated vs untreated?

Any suggestions welcome

I really don't think the wheat row spacing or height will make a difference on the clover stand.

Frost seeding here in Missouri usually in late February or early March depending on the year and conditions.

There are more seeds per pound in untreated seed so I prefer untreated.

Clover seed gets better with age. According to Grandpa. And other old timers. Most are all gone. That information has been passed down to me via Dad. I can't verify or prove it but believe it to be true. So I would question your seed source? Another reason I prefer untreated seed. Does the seed treatment effect germination a year or two down the road?

How are you frost seeding it? Clover seed doesn't fly very far. 4 wheeler with a seeder with a 10 or 12 foot spread pattern works well. Double spread with fertilizer cart, so it is best to use a 40 foot cart, so 20 foot passes. 50 foot spread cart will work (25 foot doubled back) but might have some streaks without clover.

One year had a Great Uncle spread 40 acres by hand back in the day. His son still mentions that from time to time when we talk farming and how things have changed.

I think some years are just better clover years than others. Wet springs seem to help clover thrive.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)