AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 893 snapping rolls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

shulerfarm
Posted 7/5/2024 16:42 (#10799548 - in reply to #10798720)
Subject: RE: John Deere 893 snapping rolls

Holly Hill, SC
My experience with a JD 694 corn bought new in the late 1990's. This 90 series had straight flutes on the rollers. At over 5 mph it would sometimes rip the corn plant right out the ground by the roots. It would not break the plant up but only leave a full arched corn plant behind. This was fine because it picked ears like it should. 5 years ago we pulled the front off all the gearboxes and pressed the old rollers off. The spirals and the first 1" of flute were totally worn out. The corn plant never made it past the first 2" of the straight flute. I replaced them all with the 40 series tapered rollers from Shoups. I hardfaced (Shoups also sells hardfacing wire for your mig welder) the spirals before I installed them. Keep in mind the clamp bolts on the rollers are standard for the 40 series and metric on the 90 series. Anyway, the corn header is now better than it has ever been. No complaints. For my farm I like the corn plant to be left intact in the field without turning it into confetti. I will planting in between the rows the following year. Also be aware that you can adjust the speed of the header by swapping gears on the far left and right gearboxes. I have mine set as fast as possible and am very happy with it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)