AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bad sicklepod infestation in Non-Gmo corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

moon1234
Posted 7/5/2024 22:26 (#10799855 - in reply to #10799443)
Subject: RE: Bad sicklepod infestation in Non-Gmo corn

De Forest, WI
DaveMk - 7/5/2024 13:52

Jdtank122 - 7/4/2024 22:51

Looking for advice on what I need to do with some late planted non gmo corn, 12 acre field, applied full rate dual pre emerge. Fair amount of sicklepod emerged. Came back at 12 inch tall and applied 2.5quarts atrazine with oil to the acre. Nice 1/2 inch rain the next day. Killed about 70% of them. Now the corn is 24 inches tall and after an inch and a half rain Monday there is a blanket of newly emerged sicklepod coming up. Very thick. No morning glory or pigweed or grass. Luckily sicklepod is not a super competitive compared to other weeds but I would like to kill if possible. We have been dry here in east central GA so haven’t got a good canopy yet but have good moisture now. I’ve never sprayed any dicamba on my farm and I’m scared to death to try it because I have a neighbor with 45 acres of peanuts about 900yrds away and I have 8 acres of young pumpkins about 500 yards from this field. Is dicamba with drops the only option I have? Would it be better to use banvel? Clarity? Diflexx? Status? How bout 2-4d choline? Rates? Keep in mind this corn will be 36 inch tall by the time I get a product and get into it. Thanks In advance.

Do not spray dicamba or 2-4d that close to pumpkins. Just some experience from growing pumpkins over the years.

Do not spray an auxin type herbicide anywhere near cucurbits. My neighbor dinged all of my squash one year and he was over a mile away. University confirmed it was him. Set everything back over a month and ruined a months worth of sales.

Do you have access to a cultivator. 12 acres could be cleaned up in the same amount time it would take to spray at that height.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)