AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calling 3 phase motor experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

69Cat
Posted 7/6/2024 09:22 (#10800206 - in reply to #10800059)
Subject: RE: Calling 3 phase motor experts

Inverter and vfd rated should mean same thing. A buyer needs to read the motor manufacturer information for the motor or trust sales guy to provide good info on how motor is built differently. I suspect most inverter rated motors of low hp are standard motors. At 60hp a manufacturer may do additional design tweaks.

Short cable run like that should not be an issue with voltage spikes. However some vfds do create a better quality voltage output than others. A vfd of 2016 vintage would be something I would not think of as being suspect of poor design or malfunction, by this time vfd design has become pretty solid.

Vfds are pretty good at protecting motors from overload, overheating and mis application. The key is to have the vfd setup properly so the protection features work as they should. Winding damage means overvoltage problems or overheating. Voltage could be spikes which needs some recordings to be made with high speed data collection to identify fast spikes. Overheating is caused by the vfd supplying more current than the motor can handle, if the motor can't dissipate the heat fast enough then the winding get hot and insulation fails. The vfd can only do what the programmed parameters tell it to do.

Easiest step is to go through the settings carefully and make sure all are appropriate for application. If all is good there, and it was me coming to investigate, I would start thinking about checking for voltage spikes - after the easy things are dealt with then this is where I would go. After that it gets more expensive because the vfd could be acting up but not identifying a internal problem. A pump is a very straightforward application, so something acting up should not be too hard to sort out, but that does not mean it is cheap to sort out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)