AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Magnum 290 Frustration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim Naden
Posted 7/6/2024 20:20 (#10800795 - in reply to #10798934)
Subject: RE: Magnum 290 Frustration

Southeastern Tipton County, Indiana

jicasedeere - 7/5/2024 01:04 I bought a 2013 Magnum 290 a few years ago. The tractor mechanically and everything is fine. But I have battled the auto steer since day one. I've had two different CIH dealers try and get it fixed with the factory system and nobody could figure it out. I decided to put a reichardt greenfit kit in it this spring hoping that it would improve it and also serve the farm better since everything else is Deere. This tractor STILL bobs, weaves, swerves, wiggles, etc. Most of the problems have to do with line acquisition. When you hit the resume button, it just seems lost like it can't find the line. If you turn into the line just perfect it will catch and then is usually pretty good. I researched previous posts on here and it seems that CIH autosteer just isn't very good. HOWEVER, I have neighbors who run all red equipment and seem to get along just fine. Do I just have one of the bad ones? The tractor does good enough for what I use it for (rolling, secondary tillage). But I would also like to use it for planting, but I wouldn't dare plant with it as I would have crooked rows everywhere. It's a shame because it runs great! There are things I really like about it, but I am ready to punt it down the road. I think trading back into another Magnum or Steiger I would maybe get a better deal, but I don't want to continue to have horrible autosteer if they're all the same. With Deere machines you hit the resume button and it just resumes back on the line perfectly! You don't even have to be that close to the line for it to acquire smoothly. I find it hard to believe that CIH, for as many units as they sell, have such bad autosteer. Which makes me think it's just my tractor and possibly a few others out there. I've read that AFS connect is an improvement? Is there an issue with the Steigers?

Here is a list of the Knowledge Articles pertinent to this problem.

KA00001181 / 1011177

KA00002448 / 1025161

KA000001243

KA000001244

This one is a resolution for low remote flow that involves the steering priority valve. Might be what was referred to as the valve under the right side of the cab.
Doubt this would fix your weaving problem.

KA00002698
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)