AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Propane torch; forklift 33.5# tank or BBQ 20# tank?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 7/6/2024 23:28 (#10800984 - in reply to #10800260)
Subject: RE: Propane torch; forklift 33.5# tank or BBQ 20# tank?

West Union, Illinois

seedcleaner - Would like to adapt a propane tank to a torch set.
DO NOT CONNECT YOUR TORCH TO THE LIQUID FITTING ON A FORKLIFT TANK.  Forklift tanks are made to provide liquid instead of vapor.  Liquid propane expands 270 times the original volume when it hits atmospheric pressure.  It also causes what it's going through to get REALLY cold.  So instead of a flame you get a FLAME.  It's actually a bigger difference but you get the idea.  Oh and an interesting side fact: Liquid propane doesn't burn.  But vapor does.  And not contained properly it does it violently.  in case you missed it,, lt me repeat myself: DO NOT CONNECT YOUR TORCH TO THE LIQUID FITTING ON A FORKLIFT TANK 
Would prefer to use a forklift tank for the propane ...Should I just use the smaller 20# tank instead?
I have a couple forklift tanks set up for vapor use but it takes just the right tank. Tank fittings should be labeled for liquid or vapor.  Most have a vapor fitting that usually is in the vapor space.  Often it's been fitted with an ACME fill fitting. Get with your LP supplier and get a POL (The silly left handed threads) service valve installed in the right outlet.

ONLY use it standing and secured or secured in a motor fuel bracket.  Those have a pin to hold it in th right position so liquid doesn't get vapor line

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)