AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dicamba damage, how would you handle?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mjr05
Posted 7/7/2024 20:29 (#10802084)
Subject: Dicamba damage, how would you handle?

Custom applicator didn't get their sprayer or their system or something cleaned out good enough. On 6/15 I had them spray a foliar pass on 500 ac of my earliest planted, best beans that I planned to push the hardest. All 500 acres, across 4 fields and probably 5 miles to cover them all, are now uniformly cupped from dicamba damage. No other nearby bean fields affected, and you can see where they hung wide on the outside pass in some places the outside couple rows aren't affected. It was definitely them and not drift or an inversion from somewhere. So far the damage doesn't look any worse than typical inversion/drift damage. An agronomist that I generally trust looked at them and thought it was probably only cosmetic damage, but he also has a somewhat loose affiliation with them. He works for the seed company that they sell. I've read Purdue and Nebraska's work on micro doses and yield damage, and I'm not convinced it will only be cosmetic. These were probably R1 when they were hit. They were pretty far into R2 when I looked at them on 7/3. The problem is I'll have nothing to compare to at harvest. They are all affected from end to end. And it was almost a month between these April planted beans and the next planting in mid to late May. How would you proceed? I know the normal arguments over whether or how bad it will hurt them, or even help them. And I've had some drift/inversion damage in the past, where we couldn't tell clearly if there was any yield difference. But this seems a little different, especially when so many acres are affected. Even a tiny yield hit means a lot of dollars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)