AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Airplane versus Ground Rig application of fungicide
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Wes Friesen
Posted 7/8/2024 21:44 (#10803484 - in reply to #10802467)
Subject: RE: Airplane versus Ground Rig application of fungicide

SC Ohio
Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 7/8/2024 07:28

Not criticizing either method, but I'm not sure of any reason a helicopter could fly closer to the crop than airplanes. If spraying corn, planes have often touched the tassels with their tires. Helicopters could do the same with skids.

Unless it's hovering, which I assume a helicopter wouldn't do while spraying, the "downwash" from a helicopter rotor should be about equivalent per weight of the craft to that of an airplane. The helicopter merely has a rotating wing, vs a fixed wing. But, in forward flight it's doing the same job. They both exert the same downward force per weight. Only thing is, most spray planes are 2-3x+ heavier than spray helicopters therefore producing more wing downfoce, aka "lift".

I would think the biggest advantage to helicopters is not for the actual application, it's the fact they can refill off a parked truck vs returning to a landing strip required by airplanes. Therefore easier to ferry to the next spray site for helicopters. 

Finally someone who understands aerodynamics. Few people seem to understand that a rotor is still a wing and it doesn’t “stir” the chemical down into the canopy.

Edited by Wes Friesen 7/8/2024 21:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)