AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Highest soybean population
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WCMO SFForum
Posted 7/10/2024 05:46 (#10804986 - in reply to #10804451)
Subject: RE: Highest soybean population

West Central Missouri
Have something similar. creek bottom flat field that stays wet, opened it up to get it to dry out, field cultivated, then planted 6-13 & 6-14, heavy rain next day & then hot/dry and crusted badly, then once could see extent of problem it's been wet ever since. Looked at yesterday, probably need to go back over half of the field. Really pushing the calendar to hope for much, but if dries enough plan to go in over top of bad half and plant at around 200,000, original planting was at around 185,000. Bad half of field stand now probably averages around 20-25,000 population, but driving over will destroy part of that.

As for high populations, sometimes I plant clay areas of fields twice the first time around, total of over 300,000 -- seems like the competition helps them jump up faster, they seem to grow taller than otherwise, have never noticed a yield reduction due to populations at least up to something over 300,000, at least on clay ground where they tend to stay shorter. On better soils, I have noticed some of the overlapped spots going down late in the season due to high population.

Remember reading something maybe 20 years ago that said an even stand of 40,000 planted by May 1 (in this area) could still achieve full yield potential if adequate weed control. I've never tried that on purpose. Did have hail on newly emerged beans one year that left me with a fairly even stand of around 60,000. I did nothing, and field yielded only a couple bu/acre less than my best that year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)