AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air Space
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Wes Friesen
Posted 7/10/2024 08:22 (#10805167 - in reply to #10804958)
Subject: RE: Air Space

SC Ohio
Hayinhere - 7/10/2024 05:42

In the United States, private property used to extend from the middle of the earth to the sky infinately, until airplanes were invented and the supreme court ruled private airspace ended at 500'.  that is why FAA makes the rules above 500' above privately owned ground.  

Nobody defends landowners property for them, it is up to them to defend it from drones and planes if you do not want them below 500 feet.  Many people dont mind drones, ultralights, planes, using their airspace, but if you do, you must give notice! that means no treaspassing signs, and or notices sent to anyone you think might want to fly below 500' on your property.  No actions can be taken legally until after notice has been given the first time.

Calling the airport or spray plane operator is giving notice and you shouldnt have to worry about it again.  If they do buzz the house after that,  it is entirely up to you to enforce your rules on your property.

I dont know what the rules are in canada, but as far as I know, your land is actually owned by the crown and the money you paid for it is for the tenants right to occupy a piece of the crown's land.

Not sure what you mean by “enforcing your own rules” but you don’t have any rules regarding your property when an ag plane is working in your area. Part 137 gives that pilot right to get as close to property as he needs. Congested areas are a little different story but your house is just another obstacle during aerial application. I’m not saying pilots shouldn’t be courteous, I try not to turn directly over peoples houses and livestock and stay higher if I can but you don’t own your own airspace. If a general aviation airplane is flying closer than 500’ to persons or houses, or an aircraft is ferrying between fields lower than 500’, then it would be a violation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)