AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air Space
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Detroit
Posted 7/10/2024 13:13 (#10805471 - in reply to #10805442)
Subject: RE: Air Space

Crawfordsville, Arkansas
johndeere1 - 7/10/2024 11:40

KDD - 7/10/2024 07:47

Wow!....

I would have thought that those who claim to be farmers/ranchers, participating on a farmer discussion website, would have had a bit more of a clue about ag operations, and not sound like a bunch of envirowack citiots!

For those that don't know:
This is spray season for fungicides and insecticides on corn and soybeans.
These operations are done all over the country, but especially in the south and the midwest, and they always have to turn over neighboring fields/yards/property.
The timing window is short and critical.
It is frequently done by air because crops are fairly tall by now, and running down tall crops with a ground rig normally does not turn out well.
Airplanes and helos cannot turn on a dime. Even helos need a little space to turn at the ends of a field in order to maintain a good spray pattern.
Spraying an entire field by air happens quite rapidly, so the operation will likely only last a few minutes at the most, until the field is done, or the operator has to return to base to reload. Even on larger fields requiring multiple loads, the whole deal will be over and done in a very short time period, and they will be gone, moving on the to the next location.

Drones are becoming more popular for this job, and would not have to enter neighboring air space, but the primary mode now is still planes and helos.

What ever happened to having a little patience and understanding among our fellow farmers?

No spraying is over in minutes.

Maybe not with a helicopter but with a 802 it doesn't take long to spray big acres.

I would say to call the neighbor and the flying service and let them know you have cows and to work with you any way they can to alleviate future issues. I'm in a major "ag spray" area and those guys are just trying to do the best job they can for their farmer with the circumstances they have. Sometimes things go wrong or off target and they get to buy a garden or some rose bushes.. Sometimes people see a plane close to the ground by their house and immediately call the sheriff or plant board and complain. Had a buddy who ran a flying service for about 10-12 years and he would always tell me the stories of the issues he had with the folks living in the area. He had a trailerhouse at the end of his main runway. Guy was always trying to start stuff. The strip was there long before he moved the trailer in. He was saying his roof was going bad because the plane was spraying over his house right after the plane left the ground. Claimed he could smell the chemicals and it was giving him cancer or some other health problems. Once he claimed he saw the spray boom come on and douse his whole house in chemicals, but the plane was putting out urea at the time. Had a spreader on and the spray booms removed. You just couldn't believe the guy because in his mind he was always right..

Where I work now we have to fly drones for imaging weekly. We call the local ag spray applicator and tell him what days we will be flying and he is glad to have the info because he doesn't want to strike a drone just as much as we don't want our $75k drone destroyed. A good working relationship goes a long way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)