AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till theory/help/trouble
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakeb30
Posted 7/15/2024 22:56 (#10813151)
Subject: Strip till theory/help/trouble

I love the idea of strip till and placing dry fertilizer right under the roots. so I bought a machine and have used it on corn two years now. we have had very similar weather the last two years and I actually went corn on corn in this field I'm talking about. similar great year until July 15 then unusually high heat for a few weeks. then cool off. same planting date each year. same variety. same pop.

Last year I put say 2/3 fertilizer in strip and 1/3 broadcast. this year due to problems I didn't strip this same field. In the strip till last year the ears turned down early and cost yield. I just chalked it up to hot temps. 10 days of 110 after pollination.

this year in the same field but not stripped. the ears did not turn down after several days over 100 at same stage. I think the field is going to make at least 20bu/acre more this year.

so my question is did the strip till cause root system to not be as big and cause the corn to be more vulnerable to the heat? or did that extra 5 to 10 degrees of heat make all that difference? I should add before breakdowns I was able to strip a different field this year and it did the same early ear turn down. I would also consider it as good or better farm. strip till definitely gets the corn to grow faster in beginning and maybe grow a little taller but in this scenario is it costing me? any ideas? next year I'm going to plant some different varieties as well as different date ranges and planting dates as the June 15 date of hot/dry weather and pollination has become a theme.

I was thinking of upgrading to a better strip till rig but after seeing this I'm wondering if I should be looking to sell it and go back to conventional till.

Edited by jakeb30 7/15/2024 23:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)