AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A gun post …,,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JD 9660
Posted 7/16/2024 00:58 (#10813198 - in reply to #10812187)
Subject: RE: A gun post …,,

Southern PA
Boone & Crockett - 7/15/2024 10:37

JD 9660 - 7/15/2024 09:04

Boone & Crockett - 7/14/2024 19:44

Not legal in Iowa, but would be a top choice if it was, the 7mm-08. Great balance of lethality and low recoil. Deer are not hard to kill. Any rifle capable of creating hydrostatic shock will drop them where they stand.

+1. My older brother uses a 7mm-08. Works great. I use a 270, and my youngest son uses a 25-06. They all work, but a 7mm-08 is a great choice.

Can you only use a Bow and slugs in Iowa? No high powered rifles?
Iowa is slow to adopt changes. I actually was able to personally draft a plan that got introduced to the legislature to make legal various calibers that I took considerable time selecting, chief requirement that with typical loads purchased off the shelf, the bullet would generally be on the ground within 400 yards, iirc. This was 25 years ago. Was considered too controversial at the time and never passed. Then the Iowa DNR pretty much copied some other states lead in accepting straight wall cartridges, not to exceed 1.8” case length, so pretty much pistol rounds chambered in rifles, with a few exceptions grandfathered in, such as 45/70 govt., .357 Winchester, .444 Marlin, etc. Last year they amended again, allowing bottle neck cartridges between .35-.50 caliber. I bought myself a .35 Whelen for longer range work on this most recent rule change. Was shotgun and muzzleloader only prior.

Gotcha, interesting!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)