AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till theory/help/trouble
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 7/16/2024 17:39 (#10814057 - in reply to #10813151)
Subject: RE: Strip till theory/help/trouble

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
Very different experiences here. My strip till shines the most in stress conditions. Fall or spring doesn’t seem to matter on the results.My first thought is do a root dig to answer that question. Compare root masses and depths. Would have to be some terrible conditions to keep the roots from being able to escape somewhere out of the pocket.I do a lot of spring strip till with shanks. Honestly the best corn the past few years because of the weather. And the conditions were not fit when we ran. Something I found is having better nutrient availability can speed up crop maturity. You may want to push your day length 2-4 day longer than you did before. Starter sometimes does the same thing. That will also help keep the ear up longer.Every area is different these are just my observations. I have a new farm this year that I know without strip till would not be what it is.Random last thought. Make sure you are pulling the toolbar fast enough to get good fracture. I get a lot of odd looks saying that. But strip till units do a poor job at slower speed of making great berms. I moved up 100hp years back and kept the same size toolbar. Amazing how much better the strips were with the same machine, just averaging 7mph instead of 5.5.Currently run a ZML toolbar. My favorite to date.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)