AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

08 Drought? Good discussion here.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 11/20/2007 11:44 (#241613 - in reply to #241580)
Subject: Re: 08 Drought? Good discussion here.

southern MN
Actually, this market page has been kinda dead, so I figured a dry reply from me wouldn't do much, might as well punch it up a little. ;)

I farm low land, I love a good drought. Prices go through the roof, & I still get a fair crop, less weeds, no mud to deal with. Good times for me, but I understand a drought means different things to different regions.

Driest year we ever had a was 1988, which followed a very dry 1987. Got 20bu corn on some fields. Dad said it put the 1930's to shame 'here' in southern MN.

2007 was at least as dry over the growing season, maybe worse. But there was a little more moisture in the ground, so the crops did pretty good. Now in late August we got dumped on, 10-12 inches of rain in a couple weeks. Soil moisture _all_ built back up for sure! 2008 should work out fine for us - can sure be dry & hurt yields, but, we'll have a crop.

Widespread drought is good rumor. It doesn't seem to come true tho. Pretty rare thing. The markets are pretty sensitive right now, so a dry spell, as opposed to a real drought all over, would sure see some action.....

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)