AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HTA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ehoff
Posted 11/29/2007 21:07 (#249120 - in reply to #248870)
Subject: RE: HTA

Central Missouri
Most SRW basis is historically wide for new crop bookings at this time. If you have to move the wheat at harvest it is probably a toss-up. If you have the ability to store into dec or mar find-out what they are paying you to store from harvest until then. Remember if you do a hta you are still speculating on the basis and if you plan to roll the hedge from say july to december you are speculating on the July/Dec spread. With all of that said I do alot of HTA contracts on corn in my area. We are in a corn deficit area. The local mills will ussually pay +10 the Mar or May sometime each spring. So lets take for instance the Sept corn bid at my local mill is -.20 the sep or 4.04. The bid for mar is -.10 the mar or 4.24 so they are willing to pay 20 cents to store for 7 months. Not hardly worth it; but I know in 18/20 years I will get +.10 the mar or 4.44. Now that is .40 cents which is worth it but I have increased my risk because I'm incurring storage risk and I'm speculating on basis gain. Now the sep/mar spread. This is even more risky than the basis. Normally the sep/mar will go out to 15 cents so now The return to storage is now .45 but I am incurring alot more risk. If we get into a major drought the bids will invert or the sep will trade over the dec or march and if I have my hta in mar I begin to lose even more. Bottom line is this: If you have to sell out of the field book cash and be done with it unless you have a strong feeling that the basis will get better. If you have the ability to store into dec thru mar I would hta off the july and look to roll the hta forward if the july/ dec spread widens. Just my opinions. Every move you make beyond booking cash increases your risk and your opportunity for gain or loss.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• HTA - mudfarmer : 11/29/2007 14:54
    • RE: HTA - ehoff : 11/29/2007 21:07
      • RE: HTA - mudfarmer : 11/29/2007 21:27
        • RE: HTA - dave morgan : 12/6/2007 01:24

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)